[torqueusers] can I add to the walltime of a running job?
Peter Wyckoff
2007-03-27 22:02:53 UTC
I want the ability to change the walltime of a running job in
torque/maui so as to extend its time --- i.e., kind like a renew of the
job's lease.

is that possible?

I could use qalter -l walltime=newtime+same_resources but qalter is not
defined for a job already running.

thanks,
-- pete
Glen Beane
2007-03-27 22:56:27 UTC
Post by Peter Wyckoff
I want the ability to change the walltime of a running job in
torque/maui so as to extend its time --- i.e., kind like a renew of the
job's lease.
is that possible?
I could use qalter -l walltime=newtime+same_resources but qalter is not
defined for a job already running.
qalter allows you to change some things while a job is running. It
will allow you to set a shorter walltime. If you set a longer
walltime, it will look like it was changed but it will be ignored. If
it allowed someone to increase the walltime it would have a big
potential for abuse. I suppose only allowing operators and managers
to increase the walltime might not be a bad thing.
David B Jackson
2007-03-28 02:02:53 UTC
Peter,

Moab/TORQUE does this (via 'mjobctl -m walltime+=X <JOBID>') so I know
the TORQUE supports this at some level. However, I do not believe Maui
supports this. You may need to restart Maui after making the change
within TORQUE.

I will try to find out how what we do within Moab to make this work and
report back.

Thanks,
Dave
Glen Beane
2007-03-28 11:27:49 UTC
I just did some testing, and it looks like if you are a manager or
admin you can increase the walltime (at least on linux) using qalter
-l. If you are a regular user this should get rejected.
Garrick Staples
2007-03-28 20:57:15 UTC
Post by Glen Beane
I just did some testing, and it looks like if you are a manager or
admin you can increase the walltime (at least on linux) using qalter
-l. If you are a regular user this should get rejected.
Sorry I'm late here. I've been doing this routinely for years with
TORQUE/Maui.

Users sometimes ask me to extend walltimes and it has never been an
issue.
Peter Wyckoff